United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/Ethiopia contracted Tetra Tech as the prime contractor to implement the five-year, $10.9 million Land Governance Activity (USAID LGA) Task Order (TO) under the Strengthening Tenure and Resource Rights (STARR) II Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) Contract. Tetra Tech will implement USAID LGA over a five-year period commencing May 24, 2019 (effective date per Section F.2 of the TO contract).
The goal of USAID LGA is to assist the Government of Ethiopia (GOE), its regions, and its citizens in strengthening land governance, increasing incomes, reducing conflict, and supporting well-planned urbanization, thereby contributing to the country’s Second Growth and Transformation Plan. To help achieve these goals, USAID LGA will work in close partnership with relevant institutions in the GOE, Ethiopian universities and research institutions, and other development partners operating in the land sector to implement activities under two components:
Component 1: Strengthening the land governance system
1. Facilitate policy reforms and strengthen land administration and land use institutions by promoting structural reforms of rural and urban institutions and the land information system.
2. Improve technical capacity for suitable land administration and land use planning activities to address emerging issues, such as urbanization, industrialization, and youth.
3. Conduct policy-oriented research on land governance and provide scalable solutions to improve land governance.
Component 2: Expanding communal land tenure security in pastoral areas
1. Expand communal land tenure security in pastoral areas through improved policy and legal reform.
2. For pastoral community lands, develop a scalable approach for land demarcation and certification in collaboration with community institutions.
USAID LGA commenced implementation on May 24, 2019.
This Annual Program Report, therefore, serves as a summary description of implementation progress and accomplishments made over the last four months of Fiscal Year (FY) 2019. This summary description is presented in four sections: mobilization and rapid start-up; contract deliverables; implementation progress; and, monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
We note that the implementation progress section summarizes the progress made to implement activities described in USAID LGA’s approved Work Plan during the final quarter of the FY and that is described in greater detail in the Quarterly Program Report submitted on October 30, 2019. We also note that USAID LGA’s MEL Plan was approved at the end of the FY. As such, this summary presents the approved performance indicator summary table but does not describe progress made to achieve the approved performance indicator targets during the FY.